Thursday, September 1, 2011

What's wrong with my name?

                                (This is my last name in Vietnamese)
I am used to be very proud of my name in Vietnam: Huyen Nguyen, because it very common and easy to remember name (both my first and last name). My first name Huyen was too popular that I had 6 classmates in secondary school named Huyen. Almost everywhere I have been in Vietnam, I met somebody has the same name with me. I guest it is easy to remember in Vietnam because Huyen is also name of one tone in Vietnamese. No one has problem at calling my name in Vietnam, but being in America makes me don’t like my name that much. I am curious was there any body that I met feels confident calling my name. At first, I thought every one would easy to remember my name because my name is just one syllable, not complicated at all comparing to some American names like: Elizabeth, Sebastian. Also, there are a lot of last names in America comparing to few Vietnamese last names. Also, it was very hard for me at first to remember and say right every one’s name here, as I told Ben in Vietnam that all white people look the same for me.
The fact I have realized that my name is the most complicated one in America. Especially how my husband explained to every one how to call my name in a very complicated way: Hue – yawn. So it sounds like 2 syllables, but actually it is just one syllable. In fact, I don’t expected at all that every one will say my name perfectly in Vietnamese because I know the tone is hard for English speakers. So please don’t feel bad if you don’t think you call my name right, because I might say your name wrong too.

3 comments:

  1. That's not how I explain your name! I say it is like this: /H-we/ /Yen/. It's like adding an "H" in front of "we". I am guilty of explaining it as two syllables but then I always say, "now say it as one and have a down tone."

    Sheesh, I can't believe you how made fun of me on your blog. I never made fun of you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to USA Huyen and Ben. I've had a Vietnamese adventure of my own and am about to start another one.

    I came across Ben's blog in around the middle of 2010. It was a delight to read and reminded me in many ways of the feelings I had when I met my wife, a Vietnamese American.

    And it was also difficult reading because the wonderful stories that brought back many memories were being read after my wife filed for divorce.

    I'm single now and still feel quite a connection with Vietnam. Even before my ex and I met I had some connections with Vietnam.

    Ben's blog inspired me to take my own (short) trip to Vietnam. It will start soon.

    My best wishes to you and Ben. As he wrote in his last "Ahoy Hanoi" post live life.

    And good luck with your own blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chị Huyền đừng buồn, em tên là Vân, toàn bị gọi là Van, mỗi lần cô gái gọi lên trả lời hay gì đó, nghe cứ y như là "Xe tải, trả lời câu này của tôi đi", và mọi người trong lớp đều quay đầu lại xem "xe tải" là đứa nào.
    Tên người Việt mình trong tiếng Anh có nhiều trường hợp dở khóc dở cười lắm. Phúc đọc thành "F...", Loan, Dũng, rồi Bích bị đọc thành Bitch nữa

    ReplyDelete