Wednesday, September 21, 2011

My first American football game!!!


                                        (This is the first part of JETS game!!!)

I am always confused when I hear the word "football" in America. I think that is one of the things that is gonna take me a long time to get used to. I have no idea why in America they use different system of measurements such as: miles, pounds, Fahrenheit. Same thing with Football, when I told my family that I am going to a football game, but it is not the normal football that the whole world would think about, it is a American football. This is one of my favorite sports in America because it makes me laugh so much watching it. Especially when I did not understand the rules, I just thought the players don't do anything like playing on the field, except fighting each other and laying on the other team's players. Football players' outfits also looks very funny and stupid to me. I also don't understand why they call it "football" while the players don't use their feet most of the time and they have to catch the ball with their hands. American football has a lots of rules, which are still confusing for me sometimes.

Being interested in watching American football made me very excited in going to see a game at a stadium. Last weekend, Ben's father and brother could not go to a Jets's game because they had something else to do, so we went to the game by ourselves. I was told that we had to leave our place around 8AM or 9AM on Sunday. I asked what time does the game start and Ben told me that it would start at 1PM. I was so surprised and was told that because of the bad traffic and also we will have a party before the game. I was a bit tired and afraid I will not have enough energy to stay all day at the stadium. But Ben told me that they would have a lot of food at the tailgat which is organized by two guys named Sal and Vinny, so I got excited to go to the game.

As we planned, we left for the game at 8:50 AM on Sunday. We were both very surprised that it was so fast to get to the stadium. There were a few people who went their early like us at the parking lot. We quickly found our party spot and said hello to everyone. Everyone was preparing food. Sal was shucking oysters, which is my favorite food. As soon as he finished, he told me to try them and I had some which were very very delicious. I felt like I could finish the whole tray of oysters, but there was more and more food which they brought out including the best bread I've ever had. It had pork inside it and it was sooooo good. I tried not to eat too much because Ben told me that they will have a whole 45 pound roasted pig, great sausages, Chinese pork and steak. Seriously, everything was so good and I had so much food. That was probably the most meat I've ever eaten. I made everyone shocked when they saw me eating two feet of the pig. We love this stuff in Vietnam. I ate too much that I did not think the time before the game was long at all. Not only main dishes in meat, they also had a lot of dessert with donuts, jelly, and strawberries covered in chocolate. I was really full, but I still tried all kinds of dessert. We did not stop eating there. Before going into the stadium, we wrapped two pork sandwiches and a donut to eat later. It was a really good part of the game - the party.
                                             (I am inside the Stadium with my JETS outfit)
It was not that crazy when we got into our seats. I guessed other people did not go early like us and had to deal with the bad traffic outside of the stadium. We had such great seats, which is close to the field and right next to the end zone. I was a Jets fan because my whole family are Jets fan. I had my Jets shirt, Jets sweater and a Jets hat. I looked like a crazy fan. The game really had such atmosphere because it was the home game for Jets. We stood up many times in the crowd cheering up for Jets every time they were close to the end zone or when their defense did something good. Sometimes I even did not understand the game, but I still stood up and got loud with everyone. The fun part of the fan was that there was a fireman leading everyone to shout out loud: J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!! I loved that!!! It was so much fun especially because the Jets were leading the whole game. The stadium was filled up with people. That was probably the biggest stadium that I had every been to. I think I am now a big fan of American football, especially going to a football game!

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had fun! I love your description of football.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so fun :) I wish I could have chance to go to the stadium and watch a Live football game like that! :D
    By the way, I always want to make a blog to talking about my thought of American way for a while, but never have enough motivation to do it! Your blog is actually a great inspiration for me :) Hope you keep up with the blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your observations! It really is such a silly but awesome tradition we have in America. :-)

    ReplyDelete